Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My theory on the Richmond coaching job

Ok there is a lot of speculation regarding who will pick up the Richmond coaching role. To me I think that Damien Hartwick will get the job and I will tell you why.

Think to the North Melbourne job for a sec. North wanted Nathan Buckley, they made no secret on it, they wanted him real bad! He however accepted a predecessor job at Collingwood making him the next coach at Collingwood. So, North thought right we will get one of their assistants and they chose Brad Scott to be their next coach, ironically enough from Collingwood.

So that leaves the Richmond job up for grabs. A few years ago Essendon nabbed former Richmond great Matthew Knights over Damien Hartwick who to me at the time was so ready to coach. After he was overlooked for that position and also the North Melbourne gig I thought that that had opened the door for him to go to Richmond. Just think about it, Essendon got Matthew Knights formally Richmond player and Damien Hartwick to go to Richmond, a former Essendon player. You can see the irony in that can't you if that were to happen.

Just like Brad Scott's appointment there will be an irony in the Richmond job. Who know's they could surprise me and go for Ken Hinkley the other choice and who will make a great coach someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment