Friday, September 4, 2009

Finals Week one preview

Man I can't believe that it's up to the Footy Finals, September is upon us and the reason why AFL teams strive! There are some really good tough games (to tip that is) and even though footy tips have ceased for 2009 I am still going to be tipping thoughout the finals.

Adelaide vs Essendon (AAMI Stadium) Friday.
Adelaide have come off a rather impressive win against Carlton which to me against any side they would have won. The question for me is that whether that momentum and form will carry them into the finals and especially against the Bombers week one. Essendon on the otherhand are without some of their stars mainly due to stupidity rather than injury, will that cost them? Or will there be an unknown X factor that pops up and steals the game fromt the Crows. The thing to me is that Adelaide should really win this game with the match ups that they have with the mix of the experienced players plus youth. Essendon to me are about a year or two out of contention to go far in finals mainly due to the young but tallented youth. Adelaide of late haven't had a good run with finals but in this case I believe that they will win this game by 29 points.

Geelong vs Western Bulldogs (MCG) Saturday.
I wrestled with who to tip for in this game to be honest. On Etihad based upon form I would have tipped the Dogs. But being on the MCG it could mean that any side really could come out all guns blazing. The main thing is form and I know the Cats don't have that as much as the Dogs do. Geelong beat Fremantle but they were expected to do that whereas the Dogs have beaten the Cats and Collingwood within the last couple of weeks. If Geelong can come out like the team that they had been for the last couple of years they will win and sort of comfortably. But with the recent form of the Dogs especially the way that they played against the Pies indicates to me they have the upper hand. I am however going to go against my side and tip Western Bulldogs by 11 points only based upon form, man I hope I get that one wrong!

Brisbane vs Carlton (Gabba) Saturday Night.
Another tough game to tip. Brisbane have question marks over a couple of their star players which could hamper the Lions, Carlton are going into the game just about full strengh. The main question marks will be whether Black and Drummond would play, the likes of Bradshaw and Merret are playing however they have to pass fittness tests. I personally think that they would play but how they would go with those injuries or injury clouds are another thing. Jonathan Brown is one player that seems to do well against the Blues and if the Blues were to stop him then that will go a long way towards them winning the game. If Fevola can get his kicking boots on that will be another deciding factor in the game as well. Hard one to tip but in this case I am tipping Brisbane to win by 13 points.

St Kilda vs Collingwood (MCG) Sunday.
Wooow boy this is a tough game, so many factors that could decide this game. Collingwood lost a game that a lot of people pencilled them in to win that could spur them on. St Kilda have been the best team all year and have won the last time they played at Etihad by 88 points. Things have changed since then as the Pies have found some consistency in their game and won many games before last weeks game. St Kilda have only played at the MCG last week for the first time this year, will this work in their favour or against? Collingwood have played more games there including finals. The prospect though of both teams having another chance will comfort the losing team and will mean that they would probably win next week. I wrestled with this one but I have tipped the Magpies to win in a semi upset just because they have more games played at the MCG in the last couple of years and they will win by 22 points.

It's interesting though with these games. I know I did struggle with 3 out of 4 games. Adelaide should beat Essendon but Essendon really come up with the goods when no one would expect them to win so it should be an intesting one to watch. I know that this final series is going to be a good one and anyone could win the premiership at this stage. I am looking forward to watch it to see who has the form going through the finals series.

See how I go
Catch ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment