Monday, September 28, 2009

What a game! What a Grand Final!!

Can you believe it? Another AFL season has been and gone and first of all I should say Congratulations to the Geelong Cats for winning the 2009 AFL premiership. A mighty effort in itself!

The week and the build up to the game was massive! I personally had the priverlege to go to the game, my first grand final in 14 years and things have definately changed since then. The main thing is that since I was 15 when I last went, I don't really remember the four grand finals I have been to previously, now I am a bit older this is something that I definately will remember for a long time now. The build up as I mentioned before was massive because of the many functions during the week and with the Pre Match entertainment. I enjoyed that because one of my favourite singers of all time MR Jimmy Barnes performed No Second Prize. There was also Mark Seymour and John Farnham which was the best! I must admit though even though it was good it wasn't as good as previous years but still enjoyable. I remember thinking before the game "Hurry up I just want the game to start!" And then it started....

The biggest game of the year with the two best teams of the AFL. It was building up to be a massive game. It started that way with Max Rooke kicking the first goal (and at 21-1 he was not a bad bet) from a great tackle on Clarke. The whole game was a bit of a struggle really both sides having a real dip, with St Kilda leading at quarter, half and three quarter time before Geelong kept St Kilda goaless in the last quarter to win by 12 points. I won't go into all the details on the day because I think a lot of people have watched the game and those Geelong supporters will be watching it over and over again. I will mention a few things though. It was one of the best Grand Finals I have ever seen, since the last couple had been a fizzer this one had a bit of punch to it! The umpiring was probably more of a talking point (when is it not) on the day. For one thing there was a goal awarded to Tom Hawkins that clearly hit the post. Another is a shot after the siren to Adam Schnieder at half time to put them in front by 6 points after Darren Milburn went off at the umpire. The free kick was there but doesn't that go back to the middle? There was a couple of other descisions or non decisions that were there that could of influenced the game but it didn't or probably wouldn't have. People have said that Geelong were a little lucky but when you look at it those decisions wouldn't have made any difference because St Kilda had their opportunities to win and like Geelong of last year they didn't. In this game you really have to make the most of your opportunities otherwise you just don't win. St Kilda may have got lucky last week but was meant to win in the sceme of things and Geelong were going to win on Saturday. The Norm Smith Medalist on countback was Paul Chapman of Geelong.

Yes if I were a Saints fan I would be disappointed too. The heartache is incredible! I had it last year when Geelong missed opportunities and Hawthorn took them, that and a little luck along the way. One thing's for sure is that if I were a Saints fan I would also be proud of the boys for what they achieved in the year, which is a lot. I also believe that they are so close to winning a flag and if they get in the Grand Final next year I would put my money on them bigtime, and I'm not just saying that I truly believe it. Yes St Kilda had an opportunity but realistically as Mark Thompson said on Saturday "Footy can suck sometimes" and I can truly feel your pain. But rest assure you will win a premiership soon, just stay with the Saints they are good enough!

On the other scale, for Geelong fans victory is sweet as it was only 12 months ago we were feeling like St Kilda fans are feeling right now. What a difference 12 months can make!

Now for all 16 teams after all their end of season drinks and more drinks and even more drinks there is the dreaded culling of the list, then draft, then pre season begins and the hard slog is there for preparation for season 2010. I will have more on those including a wrap up of the year as well as each of the 16 teams in review. Then it's draft time! More to follow...

One last thing. Congratulations again to the Geelong Cats who won both the NAB Cup and AFL Premiership in their 150th year celebrations! Well Done what a mighty effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment