Tuesday, July 14, 2009

After the weekend.

Man. Round 15 just came and went like that! There was some good games and well not so entertaining games. Interesting times ahead for the AFL.

To Friday Night. And I would have to say that it was such an entertaining game. I had the Dogs winning by 12 points. I knew that it would be close either side and in the back of my mind I was thinking that I wouldn't be too surprised if the Pies got up. Western Bulldogs and Collingwood games over the last couple of years have always been entertaining to watch and this one was no acception. Going into the last quarter I thought that Collingwood had the game won and thought they would go on and maybe get some percentage. But I believe that the Dogs have really proven that they are getting some form at the right time and made a charge for the finish line only to fall short by 1 measly point! I know what that feels like. The good thing about this game is it gave an opportunity to see where both teams were and in my oppinion they will take up 3rd and 4th spots.

To Saturday. Sydney hosted Essendon. A lot of people had Sydney pencilled in to win this one mainly because of the emotional farewell build up of Barry Hall who left the club during the week. But I think that Essendon played I reckon the best game all year. Some people would disagree with me saying that their win over Carlton just recently was the best, but they've won the last few encounters against Carlton so to me that doesn't count. But up at the SCG where they don't have the best record of late, the young players pulled together and come up trumps to win by 35 points.
At the MCG. Carlton hosted Richmond in what was a interesting prospect that this game could go either way. And it would of but there was one deciding factor Brendan Fevola. Yes his nine goal haul was truly remarkable. This guy had been up and down (mainly down) of late and this is something that he needed for himself and for the footy club. And that over the head soccer goal (mind you he was being held and it could have been a free kick) would be in the top three for goal of the year (I'm biased I like Gary Ablett's against Brisbane) but those two would be the front runners. There were other stand out performances from the likes of Chris Judd and Marc Murphy.

To Saturday Night. Brisbane hosted a rather depleated Geelong side. Missing from the Geelong side was Kelly, Ling, Milburn and Scarlett (as named on Thursday night) and Gary Ablett and Varcoe as named on Friday, then there was Mackie who was a late withdrawl. Without that experience Brisbane was able to control that game and win by 43 points. In my book, with the players out that Geelong had, if Brisbane didn't win by at least 40 points then they wouldn't be deserving of getting into the 8 this year, that just proves that they will. And the stand out performance of the night would be Daniel Rich, I'm so glad I have him in my Supercoach side! I saw him last year play in the Under 18's championships and I saw him dominate on both sides and was one of the names that I said to people to watch out for him. The others included Steele Sidebottom, Dayne Beams, Nic Natinui.
At AAMI Stadium. Adelaide hosted Fremantle. Well Adelaide dominated the game and put Fremantle away pretty much in the first quarter. Adelaide winning by a massive 117 points and Fremantle only kicking one goal.

To Sunday. Hawthorn hosted North Melbourne at Aurora Stadium. It was a tough game and the conditions in Tassie didn't help the state of the game much although it was sorta entertaining. That and the fact that Lance Franklin finally returned with some form, much needed form. With his performance the Hawks come back from a deficit to win by 9 points. Yes I did say that the Hawks will win by 9 points so I finally got one right.
At the MCG Melbourne hosted Port Adelaide. This game on paper was Port's for the taking but I thought that you never could discard Melbourne having come off a win. Jim Stynes the President yet again inspired the Melbourne side coming home from hospital and they won by 11 points. An awesome performance from Liam Jurrah giving the Demons that edge.
Over at Subiaco, West Coast hosted top of the ladder St Kilda. West Coast performed well keeping with the Saints for the first three quarters and at three quarter time scores were level. Then St Kilda proving they are the real deal kicked away to win by 20 points.

Well round 15 gone. Looking forward to round 16! Great performances this round. St Kilda two games clear at the top of the ladder and in my book should win the Premiership, I would put money on them! Will they lose a game? The longer the year gots on the less likely that will be.
I will have more footy stuff soon.

Catch ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment