Monday, July 20, 2009

After the weekend.

Well. Round 16 came and flew by so quickly I think I missed it?! What a weekend for footy that's all I got to say, it saw us our first draw and hoodoos that got broken!

To Friday night and this saw Essendon host Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium. In the first half Essendon played some really good football and took it up to the dogs. But after half time the Western Bulldogs proved that they are a professional outfit and went on to win by 33 points. Give it time Bomber fans, these boys are going to be good but right now they are improving at a rapid rate which would be exciting to see!

To Saturday and Carlton hosted Sydney at Etihad Stadium. This for the first quarter had a real close game brewing and you didn't know which way it was going to go! There was some game changing moments. For me when Fischer tackled Ted Richards I thought that Carlton were going to get the upperhand and they did and ran away winners by 61 points and finally Carlton beat Sydney, the first time since 2000 and the hoodoo was broken! Fevola kicked five a nice follow up to his nine from the last week. If he can do that against Collingwood this week then they are going to be in with a good chance of winning!
In the other game Saturday arvo, Geelong hosted Melbourne at Skilled Stadium. From the start Geelong controlled the game outscoring the Dees 7 goals to none in the first quarter and I honestly thought that this was going to be a long match for Melbourne. But to their credit they didn't give up and continued to try and make inroads only going down by 46 points (I had Geelong by 45 points not bad) it could have been more.

To Saturday night. Collingwood hosted Hawthorn at the MCG. To be honest I was looking forward to this game as Collingwood are one of the in form sides at late and Hawthorn you never know what's going to happen with them. Well it was the Hawthorn of 08 and not 09 that came out on Saturday night and they played like the team that won them the premiership (mind you I still say Geelong lost it) last year, the brutal and brilliant with Buddy Franklin (why is he called that? Can anyone let me know?) kicked five on the way to a Hawthorn win, winning by 45 points.
In the other game. Fremantle hosted Brisbane at a rain sopped Subiaco, yeah I know it was unusual to me too. It was a tough match for both sides but it the arm wrestle Brisbane were too strong winning by 15 points.

To Sunday. Port Adelaide hosted West Coast at AAMI Stadium. Port came out like they should have and blew the Eagles away in the first half. But again to the Eagles credit they came back and made it a much better scoreline only going down by 36 points. This gives Port a chance of making the eight but in my book they have a lot to do before they can have a chance of making an impact in September.
To the MCG. Richmond hosted North Melbourne. Richmond came out firing and at half time they lead by 42 points and I thought maybe just maybe they would have a chance at another win. But it wasn't to be North Melbourne coming back and hitting the front in the last quarter. Then a last minute goal brought back the scores to being level and that's how they remained. Money could not split this game and so couldn't the result, this game ended up being a draw. It was an exciting game but really Richmond should have won this game and have only themselves to blame as chances went beckoning!
To the last game of the round. St Kilda hosted Adelaide which was toughted up to be another match of the round. But it wasn't to be, St Kilda came out and controlled the game, showing that they should be Premiership favourites, I believe it's only a formality might as well give them the cup now! The Saints running away to win by 52 points!

So.....when you look at my tips from before the weekend, it meant that I got 7 right. It was the draw that let me down! I would have much rather North had got up, it's painful when you miss out by a draw! Peoples I haven't got 8 right since 2006 and it's a drought that I am looking at breaking this year! I have got 7 plenty of times! Hey I even won a tipping competition in 2007 and I didn't get 8. The fact that Richmond were ahead and were playing like they had a chance of winning was the bit that disappointed me the most! If they had have lost then that would have warranted them letting North Melbourne back into the game! Well you know what they say, there is always next week and I will continue to aim to get 8 right. I am well behind in the tipping but 8 would have helped, if I can get one before the end of the year then I will be wrapped! Let's see what happens next week!

Catch ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment