Monday, July 27, 2009

After the weekend.

Um did anyone notice the weekend? Cos it just flew for me, like usual. Now it's Monday and lets have a look at the washup from the weekend's AFL games.

To Friday Night. Well. Either Collingwood were awesome or Carlton were dreadful. Personally I think it was a bit of both. This is a game that saw Collingwood run away by by 54 points. The fact that this margin was so much was due to the fact that Collingwood applied immense pressure from the onset, that and the fact that Carlton's inaccuracy with disposals and in front of goal cost them any chance of getting in the game. I went to this game and it was an interesting experience that's for sure, even though I don't support either club. Whoever threw that bottle and nearly hit me, Shame on you, Shame on you!!!!!!!Arsehole!!!!

To Saturday and wellllllllllllll what a game! I was expecting such intense feirceness from this game especially from Hawthorn which is what happened. Geelong came out of the blocks and I honestly thought that we may control this game, but then Hawthorn came back in the first quarter and I thought that we are going to have an arm wrestle on our hands. Then Hawthorn came out and controlled the game and it sort of reminded me of Last years grand final and going into the last quarter Hawthorn had controlled the game getting out to a 28 point lead 4 minutes into the last quarter. I remembered thinking that that was game over, Hawthorn were playing better than Geelong and it could end up being a blowout and kind of embarrasing. But really I don't know what happened. Oh yeah, we got three goals rather quickly and I thought oh my goodness we are going to make a game of this. And before you know it scores were level after one of the points from Jimmy Bartel, and after a miskick from Joel Corey it landed straight on the chest of Bartel who kicked a point to win the game. Basically people are saying that that was the best point he'll ever kick! Makes me think why couldn't they do this last September? It would have to be one of the games of the year and believe you me there has been some beauties! Basically it does make it hard for Hawthorn to get into the finals, they are going to have to win all or most games and rely on other teams and realistically you don't want to do that, it's doesn't always work out.

Next is the Derby over at Subiaco on Saturday arvo. From what I was told it was not much of a game, but what I saw was pretty good. There is a big rivalry between these two teams and it did show, that's probably why there were a lot of errors, the pressure was immense. Fremantle ran away winners by 5 points to make it five in row against the Eagles.

To Saturday night. Brisbane hosted North Melbourne at the Gabba. And for two and a half quarters North really took it up to Brisbane before the muscle power of Jonathan Brown who kicked eight goals put North away by 41 points.
To Etihad Stadium. St Kilda hosted Western Bulldogs in a game that people thought that there could be an upset in this one. But it wasn't to be and St Kilda proved why they are the top team and the premiership favourites running away by 45 points. All I can say is hand over the cup to St Kilda now and get it over and done with!

To Sunday. Melbourne hosted Sydney at Manaka Oval, one of those cash deals really. In this game the Demons stayed with the Swans for most of the game. But Sydney just ran away winners by 18 points. It really wasn't Sydney's best game and especially should have put Melbourne away but to Melbourne's credit they did play well and if they kicked straight would have caused an upset, but it wasn't to be.
To the MCG. Essendon hosted Richmond. Richmond came out of the blocks in a similar story to last week and I thought that the same thing could happen this week. And before getting out to a couple of goal lead late in the last quarter I thought maybe not. Then Essendon kicked a couple of goals and got it back to within a kick and I thought yes it's going to happen again. But Essendon ran out of time and Richmond ended up winning by 5 points in a much needed win. Man I'm so not happy with Richmond at the moment, I needed them to hang on last week!
To AAMI Stadium at the Showdown between Adelaide and Port Adelaide. Port Adelaide got the first couple of goals and I thought that this is going to be a good game. But pretty much Adelaide dominated the rest of the game, running away winners by 70 points in an awesome display. This win by Adelaide meant that Hawthorn are in a better position than what they were before Sunday to get into finals, interesting!

Well it had been an entertaining Rivalry round for many reasons. Can't wait to see what Round 18 brings!

Catch ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment