Thursday, June 4, 2009

Just talking about something different...

Ok I am going to talk about Thugby for a second, but purely as an example nothing else really.

Last night saw the State of Origin first game at Telstra Dome, Etihad Stadium docklands whatever and I would have to admit it wasn't a bad contest. It proved that there is no longer just one code dominating in this state. Although I personally think that it was a lot of interstate traffic that ventured down to see this match.

Anyway like all codes I think, there was a couple of jubious decisions when it came to the umpires or referees as they like to call it. In my book the first call they got wrong and maybe the second was wrong as well, both involving NSW. I don't know much about the game and I'm not going to pretend I do, but I do know what a line looks like and what a bad decision looks like and that was it. Like in AFL there are always going to be bad decisions, except in our game, we don't go to the video (except when the broadcaster replays it 50,000 times and misses half the play, thanks Fox Sports!) to change a decision, the pighead umpire is always right and will not reverse the decision, it is final!

It makes me wonder if we maybe should have video decisions if an umpire is not that sure? I am not too sure that this would be a good idea, it may slow the game up big time, but I am all for it when it comes to the goal umpires. If we don't clean that part of the game up then we will have games decided by goals or no goals that were or weren't awarded. Interesting point.

The great thing about our game is that that aspect hasn't been touched, if it did then it may ruin the game, or will it enhance it? Nah we have got to have controversy in this great game of ours otherwise it would give the media nothing to talk about except for how great the game was and that the umpiring was perfect. All I can say is that that will never happen!

Catch ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment